Thank you for being part of St Luke’s!
We are very grateful to all who support the ministry and mission of St. Luke's with their commitment, involvement and prayers. We are also thankful to those who give so generously financially to maintain and grow our ministry and mission. Our annual budget is around £150,000.
You can give financially to St. Luke's through the Bank Standing Order, the Envelope Scheme, Electronically at Church or by cheque. Tax payers are encouraged to increase their giving through the Gift Aid Scheme. In addition you can use giveasyoulive.com to raise funds when you shop online.
To download a standing order form, click here
Further Information on Giving
Where does most of the money go?
About 50% of the budget is spent on what is called “The Parish Share.” This sum is in the region of £75,000 per annum and goes to the Diocese of Salisbury to cover the salaries of the vicar and curate, housing and pension contributions, the training of clergy and lay people, central church mission initiatives, diocesan staffing and education and to help poorer parishes. Now that we have a curate we are actually net receivers! The money is allocated very carefully by the Church of England.
What about staff costs?
At present about a very modest £26,000 goes on non-clergy staff salaries and National Insurance. With some additional ministry expenses this accounts for about 20%. We presently employ a part-time children’s and families minister and would love to take on other staff if that were possible.
Do we give money away?
Yes! 10% of giving income is sent to the Mission Societies and individuals we support like the Pains with OMF in Japan and the Whitehalls with CMS. That accounts for around £15,000. See the boards around the church. Additionally we have an annual gift day when individuals can choose to support particular societies and causes.
What about the rest?
The remaining 20% or so covers everything else. This includes items such as outreach, maintenance, capital expenditure, heating and lighting, insurance, worship resources, training, events, youth and children’s expenses etc. So you will see we do manage our finances as tightly as possible and budget wisely.
Why should we give?
- We give as a grateful response to God’s love & goodness (2 Corinthians 8:9)
- We give to acknowledge that He is the owner of all things (Psalm 24:1 and 1 Chronicles 29:14).
- We give because we believe in and want to further the mission and ministry of the church in Parkstone and beyond and support all that is going on.
- Giving is good for us, makes us more like Christ and is liberating
- God blesses us as we give and the material world releases its grip.
- The Lord asks and expects his people to give.
How should I give and how much?
“All should give as they are able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God that he has given you.” Deuteronomy 16:17
“On the first day of the week, each of you is to put aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” 1 Corinthians 16:2
It is right that our giving should be Generous, Regular, Planned and Proportionate.
How much we give is a personal matter, but the following might help:
- God’s people in the Old Testament gave 10% + freewill offerings.
- Many Christians give 10% of gross or net income.
- Some give 5% of income to the Church and 5% to other good causes
- Many poor people give generously and sacrificially from a small income, and yet discover God is faithful and brings much blessing.
- God understands our own particular circumstances so don’t feel guilty!